Interview Questions

I am going for an interview next month in LA for my first try- first I.D junior designer position at some big shot consumer electronic company.
I am already so nervous for the up coming interview because I know there are not many chances like this thesedays. Plus I was lucky enough to get this far. Thank God and thanks to my teachers and friends.
They said I will be interview with 3-4 Design Managers and their Vice President for an hour. I had already received some tough questions like: what is your design style and how does it affect the society?
I am sure they will ask me so many questions as above for an hour. I had never been to an hour interview before. My previous interviews only lasted for 20-30 mins. and they were very relaxed.
What will be the possible questions that they might ask me? Please help…
Anyother helpful input will be so great for me at this point.
Thank you.

My recent interview last for about 3 hours…and it was for a co-op, not even a full time job. (They flew me in, so 3 hours was the least I could expect). I was asked to verbally and visually present my portfolio to the designers and the director. Then I had to sketch for 30 mins and explain how I would like to see their brand in the future/ or define my ideal product manufactured through their brand name. Lastly the interview was concluded with an hour long walk around the facility. Extremely interesting and informative! I am here now and I love it… on a last note, I was also asked ’ what do I love about design and how do I apply that to my design skills and daily life? We all know( I hope) that we love design, but make sure you can explain it with that exact same passion.

I always got that “form vs function”… it’s always good to say something diplomatic about the two, or whatever you had learned from school is good too.

Good luck!

“How do you think you can contribute to the team/company?”

…the process may last all day or be over in under an hour (my last one took less than 45 minutes and i got the job)…but you really only have about 30 seconds to make your lasting impression to each interviewer…so, no matter what the questions are…maintain good eye contact…no one-word answers…be pithy…be enthusiastic…it really is more about how you express youself than what you say…as long as you don’t say anything stupid…no pressure…

I hate interviews that only last for 20-30 minutes. I feel I rush through my presentation (normally takes at least 30 minutes) so I can ask them some questions…

The more questions you ask the less they will have time to ask you those tricky questions. It also shows you’ve done your homework, researched the company and are truly interested in them.

I was once asked “why should we hire you?”
Also:
What do you hate to do?
What are some of your weaknesses
What style to you like to work in (in teams or solo… not all companies work in teams so don’t answer what you think they want to hear… be honest.)

If you’re interviewing for a corporate gig, you may be interviewed by an HR rep to see how well you stack up against their requirements. I’ve always found that they ask the tough questions. You can BS all day long about your grand vision for the latest and greatest plastic widget. But the HR people will ask you things like “Tell me about a recent conflict you encountered, and explain how you worked to resolve it.” This is one example off the top of my head

In all honesty, just try to relax, and keep you portfolio shpeel (sp?) brief. These guys are busy, and have seen a ton of portfolios before. You want to leave enough time to ask them questions, too, and have more of an open discussion. They’ll get a much better read on you during this time vs. you talking at them about your portfolio.

Good luck

Often, in big companies, interviewers are put on the spot just as much as you are. they often don’t know what to ask, so they wing it too.

Be honest, and concise. THink of the question in an open frame of reference. Try not to bias your answer with emotion, unless the interviewer is looking for it. (by emotional, i mean enthusiastic, or cynical etc)

also, many questions that are asked are never really meant to get the answer that you might expect. Often, but not always, the question is framed so that they see how you think on your feet. the answer really isn’t as important as how you express yourself, and how professionally you approach the question (by professionally, I mean with candor, and in control of your emotions)

Also- and this is HUGE. you need to ask them quesitons and be able to bring up points and questions along the way. This shows you think, and shows process.

GOOD LUCK.

Thank you very much for your helpful tips for the interview.
I hope to remain calm and honest through out the interview, so I can hit a homerun. Even if I don’t win the game, I am sure this chance will make me stronger and smarter.
Thanks again.

good luck, and remember how you feel when you are interviewing somebody someday!

Hey, I got the job!
I will start it as soon as I am done with my school which will be the end of this year.
This is great thing ever.
My two and half years of long commute, eating cheap food and sleepless nights are all paying off now. It’s time to thank to my hard working single mother and spoiled younger bro. You see, if I can do this, anybody can do it also. Just work hard, and you will see the bright side.

Good luck to you too guys/ladies.

YEAH~~~ :smiley:

I love core77. Without its rich information and database, I couldn’t do anything and it’s not enough alone for the school stuff.
I have to thank my great professor. He is the best teacher I have ever had. I love my school-period

Big ol’ congratulations. Go have a scotch on us (the core team.)

A question that is commonly asked here is what is your definition of innovation. we are just looking to see how creative you are, to see if you can give us an answer that is not the norm. something that is alittle different. That question can be answered hundreds of different ways and everyone has there own thoughts around it.

My definition of innovation is pretty abstract as I am an artist before an industrial designer.
Let’s say you can give birth to a new life, but you are not sure how this child will grow up in the future.
The father of the child is the culture. You had been pretty close to eachother day and night. You know its good side and also its ungly truth. But at the end, you are embracing its self to continue the new form of life. You must be responsible to your innovation and you hope it grows into something that benefits the society- “the others”.

Ok…if it sounds wierd…just ignor it. :unamused:

congratulations!!!
i would like o knw wat all u were asked

Thank you…
I wish I can tell you all the questions and answers from the interview, but this is actually prohibited since I am finished with contract.
I can tell you that the questions were very random and intense. Some level it was personal, and my answers were very honest to myself. (Let me say that Cow’s and Guests’ tips on the questions were all asked, and those were simply basic Q’s).
They offered me a cup of coffee during the interview, and I noticed that my hands were shaking when I tried to hold the cup. So, I put both hands together on the cup as I was drinking. Six people (directors, managers and a vice president of the company) carefully observed every single thing about me and my portfolio. I had to present my 30+ projects. Yes, each and every projects, I described it. I never forgot to give them a direct eye contact and smile. Interview was slightly over an hour and it was very good experience.

Very helpful and inspirational. Thanks… :slight_smile:

Welcome professional!

Toughest interview question I’ve faced: “what should I have asked you?”

“would you like some coffee or tea?”

if they don’t ask you that you’ll know they’re morons whether you get hired or not.

Haha…
Yeah, there were tea, coffee, soda and even some finger food on the tray, and they did offered me an option to choose.
So thank God, actually they are brainy people, and I admire the company personally.
The salary is superb , benefit starts from day 1 including vision and dental, and the company itself is continuously growing in the top 10% of Global Futune500.

Ok…money and all that stuff is actually my secondary concern.
Right now, my head is filled with thousand things and plans for the future. How I can design things that people will love more than what they have right now. That’s my goal. :stuck_out_tongue: